During the last weeks/month Google have fine tuned some of their products, from the webinar update yesterday, I’ve made a quick overview:
- 7% of search queries have a typo in them. If you run AdWords campaigns with keywords set to exact and phrase match, you miss out on potential relevant ad exposure due to this.
- To accommodate for that Google have updated their ad serving features, now enabling your ads be served on search queries which are very similar or likely to be a misspelled keyword, even on your phrase and exact matched keywords.
- This is feature you can opt-out from. However during the trial and research of this new feature, a 3% increase in CTR was detected as a result from this.
- An update now serve your ads more evenly. (this is also something you can opt-out from)
- The keyword contextual targeting feature – is now updated so you can almost replicate your AdWords account for display advertisement. This enables you to improve your clients display campaigns considerably by better targeting options, increased optimisation control and easier implementation of new campaigns.To get started with this:
1. Opt-in to display network
2. Copy the search campaigns to display
- AdWords Labels – You can now categorise ads, keywords and campaigns with AdWords labels. The benefits of that is that you can run reports on the labels you assign. Another benefit is that it’s now easier to organise and structure your campaigns.
- Auction insight campaign – the new feature is located under keyword details – auction insight. This new feature enables you to compare your campaign keywords to other advertisers, and establish where you are succeeding and where you are missing out on opportunities. You can now compare; bids, budget, impression share, etc.
- Campaign bid simulator – this is a feature very much similar to the Keywords bid simulator. This new tool enables you to review the impact on you entire campaign by increasing or decreasing the budget. You can see detailed estimates on this such as clicks, views etc. This is located in the opportunities tab. Another nifty thing with this is that you can download the simulated reports. Great for client meetings.
- City level targeting is now enabled in Sweden and Denmark (about time!)
The Keywords Tool
- Now updated with a “ad group ideas tab” which creates ad group suggestions for you, from the keywords you have been investigating volume and bids for. The nifty thing is that you now can by a click of a button add the keywords already grouped by Google’s tool to your AdWords account!
- AdWords app extension – you can now promote and link to a iPhone or a Android app in your AdWords ad. To track downloads, set this up as a conversion to be tracked.
- Preview app - with Android apps you can now enable the user to preview screengrabs/images in the ad. (only arable for Android apps)
- Ourmobileplanet.com – is now updated with 2012 data so you can compare mobile behaviour, adaption and penetration worldwide and compare 2011 and 2012 data against each other to detect trends.